Bolle: Timeless Style and Function for Active Lifestyles
One of the oldest eyewear companies in the world, Bolle Eyewear, is known around the globe for making frames and lenses for people with active lifestyles and for professionals seeking the best in stylish, safety eyewear.
Bolle grew from a small cottage industry in the early 1900s into one of the world’s most prominent manufacturers of quality eyewear.
Bolle’s Timeline of Greatness
Bolle did not start out as an eyewear company. Founded in Oyonnax, France in 1888 by Seraphim Bollé, the company manufactured combs and hair ornaments, using boxwood and horn found locally. By the 1930s, Bolle was producing sunglasses and optical frames using celluloid and celluloid acetate, its first foray into eyewear.
Shortly after World War II, Bolle introduced molded nylon into its manufacturing process. Considered a pioneer in molded nylon, the product was widely viewed as the best in the world at the time. This set the stage for Bolle to become the brand of choice for premium eyewear.
Over the decades, Bolle has maintained its greatness by regularly introducing new products and new processes:
- It introduced its first pair of goggles and masks in 1950, ushering in the company’s focus on safety and active wear.
- In 1956, Georges Bollé created the company’s famous nylon “cat-eye” sunglasses.
- In 1960, Bollé began producing and marketing goggles specifically for skiers, while also working with the French army, navy, and aerospace industry to develop tactical safety goggles.
- In 2007, Bollé launched its first line of ski helmets, becoming a frontline player in the winter sports space.
- In 2015, after decades of collaboration with cycling athletes including team Banesto, ONCE or Orica GreenEdge, Bollé launched its first line of cycling helmets.
Today, Bollé products are sold and worn globally, featuring four distinct product lines (safety, welding, prescription, and tactical eyewear) and more than 500 products tailored to the performance eyewear market.
Style & Function
Know for its high quality and high standards for protection, Bolle did not let that get in the way of fashion. Bolle eyewear not only protects — it looks good on your face. They are constantly refining their trademark combination of fit, fashion, and comfort, resulting in some of the freshest and most technologically advanced eyewear in the industry. It’s safety eyewear meets the exacting standards for safety in Europe, America, and Australia.
More than 130 years after its founding, Bollé products represent a particular strength in the specialty markets of snow sports, water sports, golf, tennis, cycling, and outdoor, as well as eyewear that meets everyday needs and styles.
Their particular areas of focus include cycling, golf, water sport, outdoor, urban lifestyle, winter sport, and general sport protective needs.
Is Bolle the Right Fit/Look for You?
Bolle provides performance eyewear for active athletes and professionals — and they do it with style and flair. You can search a wide range of Bolle eyewear at Sunglass and Optical Warehouse. Stop by our main store on Sports Arena Boulevard, off Kurtz Street, in San Diego, to check them out, along with the more than 60 other brands and some 7,000 frames we have to choose from.
Our skilled team of optometrists, opticians, and other eye care professionals can help you explore our RAEN collection and others to find a look and a style that’s right for you.
- Opticians are on-site at all Sunglass & Optical locations, including our Sports Arena Boutique (Hancock Street).
- Optometrists practice on-site at our Sports Arena Warehouse (Kurtz Street) and Kearny Mesa (Convoy Street) locations. While walk-ins are often available, calling ahead to schedule an appointment is highly recommended.