Rest assured, with the year being 2020, none of us is going to need to be reminded to take better care of our vision. For 365 days, every date on the calendar will be a constant, if not subtle, reminder. That said, as the San Diego area’s leading provide of prescription and non-prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, we at Sunglass & Optical Warehouse feel as though we’d be remiss if we didn’t start off the new year with a handful of vision-related resolutions designed to help you get and keep you and your family’s eyes healthy.
- Schedule an eye exam for yourself. Don’t wait for something bad to happen or for your vision to go blurry. Changes to eye health from year to year can be so gradual that it’s sometimes difficult to realize there are any changes, with some conditions (such as glaucoma and cataracts) showing few symptoms until they’ve advanced to a serious stage.
- Schedule an eye exam for your child. The American Optometric Association (AOA) recommends that children get their first vision exam at age 6 months, at 3 years of age, before first grade, and then every two years thereafter up to age 18 (or more frequently if specific problems or risk factors exist, or if recommended by your eye doctor).
- Be proactive with your Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) balance. Instead of waiting until year’s end to use up all or some of the remaining dollars in your FSA account, schedule an eye exam or buy some prescription eyeglasses. Each is likely eligible for reimbursement with your FSA.
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Buy sunglasses marked with a sticker or tag indicating 100 percent UV protection, or ask your eye care provider to ensure your sunglasses offer verified UV protection. Be aware that darker lenses don’t necessarily offer more protection. As long as the lenses are properly coated for UV protection, lens shade and color relate more to style than anything else.
- Get eyewear designed for the types of activities you engage in most often. While there are MANY eyeglass and sunglass brands to choose from, with cheaper sunglasses, lens quality and clarity are often not as good as more expensive brands, and the lenses and frames are less impact resistant. With more than 60 brands and more than 7,000 frames to choose from, our inventory of men’s and women’s sunglasses is one of the largest in the world, offering a wide range of prescription and non-prescription choices for a great number of activities including boating, watersports, surfing, camping/hiking, skiing/snowboarding, golf, cycling, and many more!
- Don’t forget the fashion. While eyewear’s primary function is to improve vision and protect our eyes from the harmful rays of the sun, there’s no reason to ignore fashion. After all, who doesn’t like to look good while seeing well? Our skilled team of eye care professionals can help you explore our collections to find a look and a style that’s right for your face, your eyes, and your fashion sense.
- Concerned about the look or quality of a friend or family member’s eyewear? You can give the gift of sunglasses or eyeglasses with a gift card from Sunglass and Optical Warehouse. Gift Cards are available by purchase at all of our locations in denominations of $50, $100, and $250 US dollars and they have no expiration dates or dormancy fees. Call us at (619) 577-4294 for details.
We Want to Keep You Seeing Well
For 30 years and counting, the professionals at Sunglass and Optical Warehouse have been ensuring that children and adults in greater San Diego look and see great with the area’s largest selection of prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. Year in and year out, our “family” considers it an honor to help protect your eyes and the eyes of your loved ones.
- Opticians are on-site at all Sunglass & Optical locations, including our Sports Arena Boutique (Hancock Street).
- Optometrists practice on-site at our Sports Arena Warehouse (Kurtz Street) and Kearny Mesa (Convoy Street) locations. While walk-ins are often available, calling ahead to schedule an appointment is highly recommended.